Thursday 15 November 2012

Get A Life: Finding a opportunity in everything

Sometimes i'd wish my brain would switch off and stop conjuring up ideas or soultions for problems, but then i wouldn't be me!!

So my dearest mother is from Barbados and every week she gets their national paper called The Nation. It's just another way of keeping up to date with things. Anyway there was an article in there titled 'We need new ideas" well you know my attentiveness grew and i wanted to know more...


To cut the long story short is was all about them needing new ideas brought to the table to entice more tourists to the island, as the number have dwindled since the recession. After reading that article ideas came to like night and day. Whether they were over the top ideas i just wrote then down.
I didnt stop there, people have said in the past once im hooked on something i will research so much i could tell someone i invented it and they would believe me!

In the article it mentioned the president of tourism for Barbados, my investigative soul couldn't help but the use my catch-phase i've been using for years that i used to get bullied for in high school! 'Google It' How the word changes, in your face! I found him on Linkedin and sent him a short message with a few rough ideas, i never thought he would get back to me. He did! He liked what i had to say (i think he like my initiative approach more than anything) He passed on my details to the new president of tourism as he was finishing his term.

A nervous wait, but soon she got in contact and quoting her words... 'I had a look at your ideas below and I think that many of them are really good and worthy of further discussion.  I believe the best idea would be for me to forward your ideas to our Marketing Committee Chairperson so that you can meet and determine the best way to move some of these ideas forward.' 

Well this had made my night, as at that moment of time i was sat in bingo trying to pay my next phone bill. It made me feel like maybe i did had a skill to offer to organisation. If you have been in my shoes after a while you start questioning yourself and your abilities if no company will give you a job. Especially in the creative world, when your skill can't be physically seen like a web designer, graphic designer, fashion designer etc. 

It gave me an extra boost and incentive to show someone what i'm made of.  

Tip: Make your own opportunities, if you have an opinion about something or a suggestion to solve  a problem don't just keep to yourself or tell your friends. Tell that person/organisation what have you got to lose? What you got to gain? Well in my personal circumstance they now know my name, who I am, I have shown that i'm not afraid to voice my opinion, that i want to help solve a problem and i have gritty determination.


Find out what my next step was...

No comments:

Post a Comment